This is a very simple and hearty chili with plenty of flavor. Top it with your favorite toppings and serve it with some chips on the side for a perfect dinner. I actually make this recipe all the time because its quick, easy, really healthy and taste even better next day, so perfect for lunches during the week. This recipe is a quick one, only takes about an hour or so, but this would just taste as good in a slow-cooker. Just make sure to brown and crumble the turkey before adding it to your crock pot and then throw everything in and come home from work to a delicious dinner.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes ( I used San Marzano)
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or use your favorite beans)
- 2/3 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth/ or water (the amount of chicken broth/water can be adjusted for thinner or thicker chili, if desired)
- 1 small bunch kale, tough stems removed and roughly chopped (about 3 cups packed)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the turkey, season with salt and pepper, and cook, breaking it into crumbles, until cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove turkey with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add another 1 tablespoon of olive oil if needed. Add the onions and garlic, and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, and coriander to the onions and garlic. Cook for about a minute, stirring to combine with the spices. Add the tomatoes and stir.
- Add the meat, beans, corn, and chicken broth to the pot. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then lower the heat, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Add the kale and continue cooking, covered, for about 15 more minutes. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve with diced avocado, low fat sour cream and low fat shredded cheddar cheese.