Now that spring is officially here I have been thinking about salads more. Something refreshing and crisp, and most importantly, green! I thought I’d share a spring salad I threw together for lunch the other day – mixed greens, endives, fresh corn, pea shoots, avocado, shaved carrots and sunflower seeds. Simple preparation and fresh ingredients makes this salad perfect for spring. The healthy ginger dressing is a combination of fresh orange and lemon juice, tahini, dates, champaign vinegar, and grated ginger, worked beautifully for me. This salad leaves you feeling satisfied and nicely full! The oranges were from my tree and they were really sweet so i used 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to get the right balance, but you can adjust to your taste. I hope you would enjoy this simple, healthy and delicious salad!
- 8 cups mix greens
- 1 Belgian endive, leaves separated, washed and dried
- 1 carrot, thinly shaved
- 1 ear fresh corn, husked
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced
- 1 handful pea shoots or sunflower sprouts
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dried goji berries (optional; or cranberries )
For Ginger Dressing:
Yield: approx 2/3 cup
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 2 large medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Blend all dressing ingredients well in a high speed blender, scaping down sides to incorporate. Pour into a salad dressing bottle and enjoy. This dressing will keep well for up to 3 days.
- Place the goji berries into a small bowl or glass and pour the hot water over them. Steep for 30 minutes or longer, until the goji berries are plump. Strain the berries for salad.
- Shear off the corn kernels with a sharp knife over a bowl.
- Use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler to shave the carrots into thin, even slices.
- Start with a generous portion of each and pile on a dinner sized plate to serve one.
- Pour the ginger dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Enjoy immediately!