Last night I made this super easy dinner with a little help from Target. I picked up a jar of Archer Farm’s Roasted Salsa Verde that inspired me to make these absolutely delicious chicken tacos. You can also serve this chicken over the rice, as a filling for enchiladas or in lettuce wraps for a lighter alternative. 3 ways to cook chicken: 2 hours in the slow cooker on high, simmered on the stove for an hour or 25 minutes in the pressure cooker on high. Served with zesty cabbage slaw and sweet and tangy mango salsa. Its quick, easy, light and refreshing!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes to 2 hours
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless chicken breasts
- 16 oz roasted salsa verde ( I used Archer Farms from Target)
- salt to taste
- warm tortillas to serve
Season chicken with a little salt and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker or pressure cooker or a pot if cooking on the stove. Cover with salsa verde, cover and cook per your method of cooking ( 2 hours in the slow cooker on high, simmered on the stove for an hour or 25 minutes in the pressure cooker on high). Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. Add liquid from cooking the chicken back to the shredded chicken, about 1/2 cup or more ( it should be moist but not soupy). Adjust seasoning to taste.
Cabbage Slaw with Honey Lime Vinaigrette:
- 4 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
Honey Lime Vinaigrette:
- Juice if one lime, about 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, pepper to taste
Blend all ingredients together until emulsified. Drizzle the honey lime vinaigrette over the cabbage slaw and toss.
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped (pinch of brown sugar if mango is not very ripe)
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped ( or to taste)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
Mix everything together.
How to heat taco shells and tortillas:
Hard taco shells: Bake 4 minutes at 350 degrees F, or microwave 45 seconds
Soft 6-inch corn or flour tortillas: Heat in a dry skillet or on the grill, 30 seconds per side, or wrap in foil and bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. You can also wrap in a damp towel and microwave 1 minute.
Serve the chicken in tortillas with cabbage slaw and mango salsa.