This simple side dish is perfect with roasted meats or a holiday meal. You can’t go wrong with crispy, salty pancetta, nutty parmesan cheese and sweet roasted squash. Its packed with big earthy flavors and got amazing crunchy texture. Its got that salty/slightly sweet thing going on from the butternut squash-pancetta-parmesan combination. Hope you give it a try:)
Roasted Butternut Squash with Pancetta Parmesan Topping
- 1 large butternut squash (about 2.5 pounds), peeled and seeded and cut in 1-inch chunks or 2 pounds of already peeled and cut squash
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of brown sugar
- Salt, pepper
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely diced, ~1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the squash on a sheet pan and drizzle with the olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and toss well (note: both pancetta and Parmesan cheese are quite salty, so just a add little bit of salt!).
- In a medium bowl, toss together the pancetta, Parmesan, panko and thyme. (This will create a yummy and crunchy topping).
- Arrange the squash in one layer, sprinkle with pancetta parmesan topping and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until the squash is tender.