Marinating the lamb is the most important thing. You want to add enough flavor to the lamb, but not over power it. This lamb is marinated in pomegranate juice, lime juice, fresh herbs and walnuts, creating a flavorful and juicy lamb kebab.
Preparation time: 20 minutes plus 1 day of marinating
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 4
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper or to taste
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in the food processor and pulse it to grind. Pour over the meat, toss, and marinade for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill on high heat. Thread 4-5 pieces of lamb onto each skewer. Place the skewers on the grill and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, turning frequently. The meat should be seared on the outside, pink and juicy on the inside.
- Serve kebabs with rice and a piece of lavash bread.
Adopted from Najmieh Batmanglij