Flank steak is such a tasty cut of meat when prepared well. It can be a little tricky to grill, because it is easy to overcook. Make sure the meat is at room temperature before you put in on a grill and the grill is hot – very hot. The key to keeping flank steak tender is to sear it quickly over high heat. It is best cooked medium rare and then thinly sliced. For this recipe, you just marinate flank steak in lime juice, garlic, cumin, chilli powder and olive oil, then grill quickly at high heat until medium rare, let it rest, thinly slice and serve with BBQ sweet potato fries and grilled peppers. This recipe calls for grilling the steak, but if you don’t have a grill, you can prepare the steak on a large cast iron frying pan as well.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1-1 1/2 pound beef flank steak
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
BBQ Sweet Potato Fries: ” Adopted from Julie Morris”
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted or olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mesquite powder (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
Grilled Flank Steak:
- In a small bowl combine garlic, cumin, chili powder, lime juice, salt, pepper and olive oil. Rub the marinade over steak on both sides. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours or better overnight.
- Preheat the grill on high heat. Place the meat on the hot grill and do not touch it for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes are up, turn the meat over and cook for another 3 minutes. This should give you medium rare on the ends and rare in the middle. If you prefer it a little more done, increase the cooking time on each side to 4 minutes. Do not over cook as the steak will be tough. The meat should be seared on the outside, pink and juicy on the inside.
- Grill the peppers at the same time until the skin is brown and blistered, about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- When the meat is done, remove it from the grill and place it on the cutting board. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
BBQ Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 450 F
- Cut the sweet potatoes in long fries, about 1/2 inch thich. Toss it with oil and spread out flat onto a baking sheet.
- Roast for about 15-25 minutes, until the fries are cooked through and begin to brown.
- While the fries are cooking, mix together all the spice ingredients in a small bowl.
- When the fries have finished roasting, remove the pan from the oven and immediately sprinkle some of the spice mixture on top (use amount to taste), tossing the fries with a spatula to ensure even coating. Save the rest of the spice mixture in a small container.