I had some ripe bananas sitting on the counter which means time to bake or make a smoothie. Too many for a smoothie, so I chose cake. Couple of weeks ago I came across the “Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread” recipe from Lily at “Little Sweet Baker”. I love guilt free desserts, but this time I was feeling a little “naughty ” and decided to top the cake with a smooth and creamy mascarpone frosting. This cake combines the sweetness of ripe mashed bananas with cocoa powder and it tastes best the second day. Cocoa powder gives it deep chocolate flavor, and yogurt makes it tender and ultra-moist. You can top it with cacao nibs or chopped walnuts.
Chocolate Banana Cake with Mascarpone Frosting
- 1 & 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 cup mashed over-ripe bananas (about 2 large)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons honey
- cacao nibs or chopped walnuts, to top
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 8×8 baking dish
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil with the mashed bananas. Then add the egg, greek yogurt, honey and vanilla, mix well. Slowly add to the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined.
- Spoon into prepared baking pan and bake to 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let it cool.
- To frost the cake: Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the mascarpone cheese and then beat in the honey. Spread the frosting over the cake. Sprinkle with cacao nibs or walnuts.