Chickpeas are a great source of protein, and this easy chickpea salad is full of great flavor. I love having chickpeas in a salad as it makes any salad more filling. There is a little sweetness from the sauteed red onions with a light lime-herb flavor. Its super easy to throw together, and makes a fresh, protein-packed side dish.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked or 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2-inch fresh ginger root, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- salt, pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro), chopped
- green salad to serve
- toppings: dried unsweetened cranberries, toasted almonds, and feta cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper and cumin and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add the pepper flakes, lime juice, and tomato paste and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, and fresh herbs and remove from the stove. Stir well, transfer to a serving bowl, drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil on top.
- Serve over a bed of green salad with cranberries, toasted almonds and feta cheese.