I woke yesterday and felt like making a coffee cake. I had some fresh blueberries and cherries at home and I thought that should be perfect for a nice crumbly cake. My husband went paddle boarding, so while he was gone I made this delicious, moist coffee cake loaded with juicy berries. I don’t know if we were hungry or it was really that good, but we end up eating half of the cake right away! It tasted even better the next day!
Blueberry Cherry Coffee Cake
For the crumb topping:
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, or almonds)
For the batter:
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour ( if you only have regular flour, use just over 1 1/2 cups for batter)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 cup (half stick) unsalted butter, soften
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cherries, pitted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9-inch pan.
- Make the batter: In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, clove, ginger, and salt for at least 20 seconds. Set aside.
- With a mixer beat the butter and brown sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the honey, vanilla extract and sour cream. Mix in the blueberries and cherries until combined.
- Stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Make the topping: In a bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Pinch in the butter, until it looks like coarse crumbs. Mix in the chopped nuts.
- Sprinkle the topping over the batter and then bake. Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
- Allow to cool, then remove from pan. Cut and serve.