Today I am sharing Apple Spiced Baked Oatmeal with Cashew Sauce! I am always looking for new healthy breakfast ideas and I think there is something about baked oatmeal that just hits the spot.
There are endless variations of baked oatmeal, but I tried to keep this recipe as healthy as possible without compromising the taste. The recipe is easily adapted with whatever fruits and nuts or seeds you have on hand. This version filled with apples, warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, all spice, raisins, walnuts and sunflowers seeds. Drizzle with yummy cashew sauce and serve with fresh berries and more maple syrup if desired.
The best part? This recipe can be made ahead of time and reheated. Feel free to play with the add-ins to this recipe. I see making it this recipe on Sunday, so I have healthy breakfast during the work week.
Apple Spiced Baked Oatmeal with Cashew Sauce
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon all spice
- 2 1/4 cups milk of choice (almond milk, coconut milk or cow’s milk all work): I used unsweetened almond milk and coconut
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- coconut oil to grease the pan
- 1 apple, cored and grated
- 1/2 cup dried fruit ( raisins, cranberries, apples); I used raisins and dried apples
- 1 cup nuts/ seeds ( I used sunflower seeds and walnuts); toasted in a dry pan and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon milk ( I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- drop of vanilla extract
- tiny pinch of salt
Optional toppings for serving: fresh berries, sliced banana, plain/vanilla yogurt, additional maple syrup for drizzling.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with a little bit of coconut oil.
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Spread out half of the dry oat mixture in the oiled dish. Spread half of the grated apples and half of the chopped nuts and dried fruit on top of the oats. Repeat these layers with the remaining oat mixture, apples, nuts and dried fruit. Don’t forget the juices from the grated apples!
- Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture.
- Wiggle the baking dish to make sure the milk moves down through the oats.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the top of the oatmeal is golden brown and all of the liquid is absorbed.
- While the oatmeal bakes, make the cashew cream. In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk together all the cashew sauce ingredients. If the mixture seems too thick, add more milk by the teaspoon.
- Remove your baked oatmeal from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Drizzle the cashew cream on the top before serving. Serve with your favorite topping.
- You can reheat the leftovers with a splash of milk next day!
Enjoy this yummy Apple Spiced Baked Oatmeal with Cashew Sauce!